Windows licenses

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, will be looking at buying a new machine later in the year, my current PCS one is still running fine for work purposes but is a little slow for some gaming, plus it's about time to treat myself to an upgrade 😁

My current machine is running Windows 10 and can't upgrade to Windows 11 (too old).

If I order a new PCS machine with no OS license, can I transfer my existing licence to the new one?

Also, the gaming monitor guide in the sticky thread is broken, is there a good source of general foundation knowledge? I don't play high end games so will likely continue with my current aged 1080 one for now, but I know this will factor in to GPU decisions.

Thanks

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yes, absolutely. In fact we would always recommend this when it's an option as you can then spend the extra budget on shiny goodness :D

Everything to do with everything is going to come down to budget. If you let us know the budget for the monitor and the budget for the PC we can look to get a match. The main consideration is that there's no point in spending £3k on a PC if the monitor budget is £200 (hope that makes sense).

If you're not totally up to speed on all the tech and options available it's worth just having a total figure in mind for everything combined and we will come up with some suggestions for you.

Have a browse around the check this spec forum and you will get an idea of the sort of systems we're recommending just now. There are often monitor queries in there too, which would also give you an idea.

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks. I knew there'd be a thread somewhere lol.

Thanks also on the monitor point, budget is a little fluid at the moment as it's more a question of how much I'm prepared to spend than a hard limit, so very much at risk of £100 here, £100 there and ending up at double what I originally thought 😁

Also the physical space I have (width) is narrow so balancing there monitor size with the case width.

Are there any horizontal rather than vertical cases? I could possibly raise the monitor enough for an SFF to sit underneath, but I've read the threads here and appreciate the trade-offs which arise with those.