Microsoft Game Studio closures

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So Microsoft have announced they're closing 3 studios they very recently purchased as part of the Activision / Blizzard buyout.

These studios are:

Arkane Austin - The new Prey, Redfall, Deathloop, Dishonoured series
Tango Gameworks - Evil Within games, Ghostwire: Tokyo and Hi-fi Rush
Alphadog - Wriathborne

This buyout was completed in March 2021, it's not as if they've had years of garnering poor performance data that's led them to realise these studios are defunct, this was a very recent acquisition that they seemed to have simply bought out to kill to prevent anyone else from picking up the game IP's. They didn't need to kill the companies, they could easily have sold them, certainly tango and arkane had a raft of incredibly successful titles

This is what I'm always wary of when Microsoft buys a Studio, because this is invariably what happens.

Skip to 28:40 here:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For me, both Arkane and Tangoworks are huge losses.

The very original Prey which was released in 2006 was a MONUMENTAL game at the time, incredible story. When they announced the new one I throught it was going to be a remaster or second part, but it was a completely separate IP, and I was a bit gutted about that. But then when I played it (still haven't finished) it's a really great game. This was definitely one IP I was hoping for a few future chapters of to continue the story.

Deathloop as well gained a lot of fans as a really over the top fun shooter.

Both the Evil Within Games and Ghostwire were also superb ones, I especially like the Evil Withins as the horror genre, especially at that level of sickness is fairly rare to find so well polished. Ghostwire has a 9/10 review on Steam which in itself is rare!